Written December 2017, but relevant every year!
First thing for the new year, be healthy.
I’ve been fighting a virus for about two weeks and almost everyone I know is in the battle to stay healthy!
When I’m forced into a bit of a respite when feeling sick, I’m reminded of these things:
1) Doing nothing… can heal you.
2) Binging on Film/TV can drain you.
3) Binging on Film/TV can inspire you.
4) We always need more rest than expected to rejuvenate.
5) The things I think are important, can wait.
6) The things that are important, someone else can help you with.
7) The things you want to do when you feel better, is a long list.
So now I am on the mend and already on the run!
In my classes. In readings of my feature film. In meetings to raise money for the film. Traveling to meet all the people who can help it get made. Making creative time to do the actual creative work. Meetings with people about getting other meetings.
You know…. it takes lots of activities to pursue the dream!
But, we just have to take the lessons forward that we keep getting signaled to us. We should try to learn from our past, yeah?
Why do we get sick anyway? Usually it’s exhaustion and lower immunity system. Or, it is just bad luck of the subway rider coughing on you. Ah.
And/or, maybe our approach is just not working? Maybe we are overcommitting, or underproducing because we are overcommitting. Maybe we are trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Maybe we are caught up in a cycle of activity but unproductivity.
As I pick myself up from the respite of sickness, I find that I start making my “To Do” lists again. And these lists start to get too long again. At that rate, I will end up at the same on-sofa-under-blankets again.
So, this time, I’m trying a new approach. I’m making lists that keep me inspired.
I’m pausing on my TO DO lists.
I’m making the INSPIRATION lists.
Here are some lists to shape your new year!
HOW TO GO FORWARD
1) Take your time.
2) Work with urgency.
3) Let things unfold as they will.
4) Receive support.
5) Give support.
6) Eat healthy and sleep plenty.
HOW TO STAY INSPIRED AND NOT GIVE UP
1) Mingle with others who are inspiring.
2) Work in groups.
3) Watch/do things that inspire your creativity.
4) Talk with others pursuing the same dream.
5) Help others pursuing the same dream.
6) Walk away from it when not inspired, return later and see how it feels.
7) Try a new approach to the same goal.
Sending healthy vibes to all today,